11.10.2011

Updating the trading framework

It's been some time since I spoke about the engine behind the robots and strategies I trade. I had a wonderful coding marathon last weekend the result of which is many new improvements in the trading framework I am using. Although I solved several issues and cleaned up many things, there remains a piece I haven't quite been able to clean up.

I have the dilemma of writing code that is clean and maintainable, while having client side strategies that are really one-off programs. The server side backend pieces are abstracted away and objectified nicely, but that doesn't help with the client side implementations. Simply stated, I have a template I wish to use for all new strategies. This is easy to do. The trouble comes when I update the template (fixing a bug, adding new cool stuff, etc), the strategies of course don't get this update without me manually merging it across. This is not scalable as the number of strategies grows. The trouble with creating a generic class and having each strategy extend it is that each strategy has unique pieces and I don't believe I can abstract anymore pieces away. This is of course despite the fact each has a common workflow. Creating a generic client class is the answer (unless a programmer out there can shed some light). Regardless this is a wall that is slowing progress on new trading ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment