3.31.2010

Timeframes

Does long term trading really work? I struggled for a long time during my first trading attempts wondering this question. It seemed to me longer term trading was inherently more risky than short term1. After all, I can't know what will happen 5 mins from now, let alone 5 days or weeks. However, stats geeks would tell me I can predict with greater certainty what will happen in 5 mins than 5 weeks2. And thus it seemed to me that short term was the way to go.

I had a good run for some time manual trading short term; however automated trading short term setups seemed to be an on-again, off-again sort of feeling. One week, I would win 90%. The next week, I could lose 90%. Plus, the concept behind why I would be entering positions in such a short term way was non-existent and flawed. I was simply guessing, hoping perhaps, and I had a risk/reward ratio that required a high win rate to succeed. Needless to say, the effect on my account was a slow drain, with nice profit spikes during those weeks where everything just clicked.

My current philosophy I suppose is that long term trading can and does work. However, I believe my initial analysis about higher risk was correct. If I trade long term with a poor risk reward ratio and with a short term viewpoint, then I have simply increased my risk. What I was missing initially was an entirely different way of trading. I suppose the "happy" way to think about longer term trading is that it gives you more possibilities of taking profit. In theory, if we can wait long enough, everything eventually comes around to profit. Or as price over time approaches infinity my win ratio becomes 100%3.

1. Without going crazy on definitions, I'm simply going to say "long-term" is anything more than a couple days
2. And they would be wrong. People's actions aren't a Gaussian distribution.
3. If your buying that idea, let me tell you about a system I would sell you. You see if you simply double up your bet each time, eventually you win. It's called a martingale, and ...

No comments:

Post a Comment